Q: What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear the word Starbucks? You won’t surprise anyone if you say it’s coffee. But there is one touchy question that arises in many minds of those who take care of nature. Can you microwave Starbucks cups?
Are Starbucks Cups Microwave Safe?
Some people say that they always microwave Starbucks to go cups to reheat their coffee. The others complain that they are not allowed to put the cups in the microwave oven at least once.
Look at the following statements saying that microwaving Starbucks cups is a bad idea (based on what people say):
- The Starbucks Cup gets burnt or if it doesn’t catch fire, it starts smelling burnt
- There’s a metal ring that connects the walls of the cup with its bottom, so you should better use a microwave-safe container instead of the cup.
- The Starbucks Cup is actually microwave-safe, but the Starbucks coffee is not
- The Starbucks coffee can absorb wax or glue or any other chemicals used for the cup production, which is totally improper for microwaving.
While some customers recommend you to be brave and microwave your Starbucks cup (for not more than a couple of minutes, though), the others are really judgemental.
We insist on microwaving only a certain type of Starbucks cups.
Which Starbucks Cups Can You Microwave?
The Starbucks to go paper cups which you buy every day are out of the question.
They are made of paper and wax so they can’t go in the microwave oven.
There’s definitely a better option for you, and it is called a plastic Starbucks tumbler.
Some years ago the company started a heart-lifting campaign with nature on the mind. They sell reusable and recyclable cups which you can take with you the next time when you go to the Starbucks café.
No need to remind you how important it is to ask for a ceramic mug when you are ordering your coffee “for here.”
Buy a reusable Starbucks cup for just one dollar, if you always forget your cup at home or in the car.
They will give you 10 cents back every time you order yourself a coffee poured into your own Starbucks tumbler.
We really love this idea. And this is not because the reusable cup pays back after 10 times.
How Long Can the Cup Stand in the Microwave?
The Starbucks plastic cup can stand in the microwave for as long as 50 seconds at full power. Well, consider 1500 Watt as the highest.
Your coffee will be warm enough to drink it right after you take the plastic cup out of the microwave.
Also, it is important to take the lid off the reusable cup if you want your coffee hot.
Keep in mind that at the end of microwaving, the reusable plastic cup can be really hot. Please use a pot holder or a towel to avoid scalds.
There’s another piece of good news about the reusable Starbucks cups that you must be aware of.
They can go in a dishwasher. You can place the cup on the top rack, where it will get washed just like any other dish, and then you will use it again as needed.
So what’s the conclusion? You should keep the two rules in mind:
- Do not microwave Starbucks regular paper cups. (they catch fire)
- Do not microwave Starbucks ceramic mugs. (they are the double wall ones and so thin that they get too hot in the microwave, and so you can burn your lips and fail to have any coffee even after 10 minutes)
- Microwave Starbucks reusable plastic cups (without the lid).
We hope you stay safe and sound when reheating Starbucks coffee in the original plastic cup.
One thought on “Starbucks Cups”
I came to find out why not to microwave them … your comment states “They are made of paper and wax so they can’t go in the microwave oven.” That is not a reason, it is just a statement. My question remains … why not?